First Lady Commits to advocate for improved cervical and breast cancer screening and treatment in Tanzania In July 2013, President Jakaya Kikwete of Tanzania and President George W. Bush launched Pink Ribbon Red Ribbon in Tanzania. Tanzania joins Botswana and Zambia as the third country of the initative’s engagement. At the launch, several Pink Ribbon Red Ribbon partners made major commitments to support Tanzania:
- $3 million over five years, including sixteen cryotherapy machines, from the President’s Emergency Plan for AIDS Relief (PEPFAR);
- $1.4 million over three years from Bristol-Myers Squibb Foundation;
- $100,000.00 for Tanzania, Botswana and Zambia over three years from United Nations Joint Programme on HIV-AIDS;
- Two cryotherapy and two LEEP machines from Merck;
- Support for breast cancer programming from Susan G. Komen.